[Asterisk-Users] SIP and DSL Bandwidth queries.

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Oct 2 15:36:19 MST 2003

>Here is my setup
>
>7960(A)--Firewall/PAT--dsl---------Internet--------dsl--Firewall/NAT---7960(B)
>                                     |     |
>7960(C)--NAT--cable-----------------      -----dsl -- Asterisk
>
>(A) can communicate with (C) only when C is configured with
>canreinvite=no. The call gets dropped in few seconds if canreinvite
>is set to yes for C.
>(A) and (B) can communicate fine when both sides have canreinvite=yes.
>
>Since (C) is not working with canreinvite, traffic goes thru
>Asterisk server. This brings the Dsl connection to asterisk to a
>crawl. It is so bad that even a idle ssh connection gets
>disconnected.
>
>Is it possible to configure C so that reinvite works. If not what
>kind of a bandwidth should I have for Asterisk server. Currently it
>has a upload of 128K.
>
>The codec currently getting used is ULAW. Even if I configure 7960's
>to use g729, show sip channel reports as using ULAW.
>
>Thanks,
>==ratnakar

If you are moving your traffic from behind a NAT, your Asterisk
server must have a G.729 license to terminate the traffic, since
Asterisk must be the media proxy for the stream.  As you are
connecting endpoints together that are behind NAT, you would need
multiple G.729 licenses - one for every device that would be
concurrently talking to the Asterisk server.  I do not believe that
it is possible to configure C so that reinvite works, though I would
be interested in how you do it if you are able to make that function
without Asterisk being a media channel proxy (quasi-border session
controller.)

You should have at least 56kbps for G.729, in my experience, unless
you have no other traffic on the end legs of the diagram.  G.729 uses
less than 32kbps during normal circumstances, but other TCP traffic
needs to squeeze in  (as you have discovered.)  Your Asterisk server
will of course need to have N*(leg bandwidth) capacity, where N is
the number of legs active at any one time.

JT