[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Documentation

Daniel.Sloan at vu.edu.au Daniel.Sloan at vu.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 06:05:56 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Roderick Montgomery <rod at thecomplex.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2003 10:46 pm
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Documentation

> ... <snip> ...
>
> integration with basic scripting languages, I'm not focusing at all on
> documenting Asterisk code development. It's not something I understand
well
> myself, the target audience of Asterisk developers is small relative to
> admins and users, and development is already well-supported with the
Asterisk-Dev list.

Well, that fits in quite nicely since my primary drive is to get the
various APIs well-documented.  My goal is to make it easier to write
good modules and extensions to Asterisk, and to make it easier to see
where there is room for improvement in the core source code.

In a more general query to Mark or whoever maintains the website for
Asterisk, is there a chance of putting all of this up on the website
when it matures a little?

> Printed documentation seems most lacking for new users wanting to
> install Asterisk and set up a basic dialplan. By my estimation, many
of the
> newcomers interested to Asterisk will have some basic knowledge of Unix or
> Linux, familiarity with the concept of OpenSource, and a willingness
to try.
> I plan to provide a book that will guide them to a successful, usable
> installation with diagrams, examples, and design hints. The handbook, the
> wiki, the mailing list, and various personal websites with asterisk
tips and

Here's a good example: wiki? there is a wiki? :-) I saw a broken link
once but heard no more...does it still exist?