[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Documentation

Roderick Montgomery rod at thecomplex.com
Wed Oct 1 05:46:45 MST 2003

According to Daniel.Sloan at vu.edu.au:

> Does anybody have any thoughts on this plan, or better ideas?
> Negative/positive thoughts about Doxygen?
> Most importantly, is anyone else working on something along these lines
> already?

Daniel,

Documentation is much-needed, and I'm glad to hear that there's someone else
working on it. I'm working privately on an Asterisk Guide, with a target
audience of administrators and users. Aside from the AGI interface for
integration with basic scripting languages, I'm not focusing at all on
documenting Asterisk code development. It's not something I understand well
myself, the target audience of Asterisk developers is small relative to
admins and users, and development is already well-supported with the
Asterisk-Dev list.

Printed documentation seems most lacking for new users wanting to install
Asterisk and set up a basic dialplan. By my estimation, many of the
newcomers interested to Asterisk will have some basic knowledge of Unix or
Linux, familiarity with the concept of OpenSource, and a willingness to try.
I plan to provide a book that will guide them to a successful, usable
installation with diagrams, examples, and design hints. The handbook, the
wiki, the mailing list, and various personal websites with asterisk tips and
examples are a great help, but separately do not provide a cohesive resource
for teaching or reference. Frequently on the mailing list we see questions
that are answered in one resource, while the well-intentioned newbie was
looking at other Asterisk resources. I am attempting to write a
comprehensive guide for administrators and users.

rm