[Asterisk-Users] An interesting call path observation..

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Nov 26 08:44:08 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 04:27, Asterisk wrote:
> Hello Asterisk-ers,
>
> Thanks to WipeOut! you've kinda answered something I wondered about.
> I've been looking for a post like yours for the last 3 hours (I didn't
> want to get told off for not looking first)!
>
> I don't have enough Asterisk boxes (yet) to test this scenario.
>
> If had 3 Asterisk boxes, A1, A2 and A3.
>
> A call comes in on ZAP/1-1 on A1 which sends the call via IAX to SIP/U2
> on A2 who then decides that the caller needs to speak to SIP/U3 on A3.
>
> (You follow me so far?)
>
> If SIP/U2 transferred the call to an extension that made use of the
> "switch statement"... What would the call path be?
>
> Would the call traffic go from A1 in A2 back out of A2 to A3?
>
> ...or would it be "switched" and go directly from A1 to A3?

> (I know what I'm asking. I don't know if I've made sense.)

You made sense to me, but you seem to have abbreviated some information
out. Also thank you for searching a bit first.

As an example of what you want to do, I was doing some testing of a
application of ours. Our phone traffic comes in on box A, an was dialed
to box B. We don't like to change the dialplan on box A, so I told box B
to redirect to my test workstation(box C), and IAX handed off the call
from box b to my workstation. As long as you are using IAX as the box to
box transfers, it should transfer if it can and get out of the way. It
shouldn't matter that the final part of the call is SIP since the
transfers are on the asterisk boxes.