[Asterisk-Users] Distinctive ring confusion

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Nov 25 15:29:36 MST 2003

Richard Scobie wrote:

> I am somewhat unsure as to the definition of "Distinctive Ring".
>
> What I am trying to achieve is to have Zap connected phones (TDM400P)
> ring with different cadences depending on whether the call is incoming
> on the PSTN context or an IAX2 context.
>
> Googling, I find this from Mark:
>

> I've added distinctive ring support to Asterisk now (also I've added
> answer confirmation which is an essoterric feature that nobody but oliver
> will likely ever use).  Now you can do the following:
>
> exten => 1,1,Dial,Zap/28        ; Ring Zap/28 normally
> exten => 2,1,Dial,Zap/28r1        ; Ring Zap/28 with ring #1
> exten => 3,1,Dial,Zap/28r2        ; Ring Zap/28 with ring #2
>

> and when I do a "show application Dial", I see :
>
> 'r' -- indicate ringing to the calling party, pass no audio until answered
>
> Which doesn't seem to match up with what I have in mind.
>
> Assuming the former usage, and that it does what I am trying to do, do I
> have to define ring #1 and ring #2 somewhere, or are they hardcoded in?

You are looking for different ring cadences on an FXS port.  You can do
something like the following:

exten => 200/_XXXX,1,Dial(Zap/28r2) ; Caller*ID is any 4 digits
exten => 200,1,Dial,(Zap/28)  ; Caller*ID is NOT 4 digits

When people say "distinctive ring" they usually are refering to
DETECTING it on FXO ports.