[Asterisk-Users] AGI Rocks!! (A happy camper)

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Nov 25 13:37:52 MST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 13:54, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> I believe I read Mark or someone say many of the builtin apps would
> become AGI scripts in the future.

Somehow, I doubt it.  AGI takes more resources to execute than an
application, as it needs to fork and execute another application,
which in most cases is a scripting language, which means that a
large interpreter must be loaded into memory for each invocation (i.e.
each channel).

Applications, on the other hand, execute in the same thread as the
channel itself and do not take up any significant amount of memory.
Further, the application code is shared between all channels, further
decreasing the necessary space to execute.  Indeed, not having to
fork for each channel also makes applications faster than AGI.

AGI cannot be beat in terms of rapid application development, or in
some of the complexities of various AGI applications.

What I would believe, though, is that some of the applications in the
future may get AGI commands, such that it becomes easier to invoke
them than invoking the application with EXEC (i.e. "SAY UNIXTIME n"
instead of "EXEC SayUnixTime(n)").

-Tilghman