[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk suitable for this use?

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
Sun Nov 23 08:38:51 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 07:57, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > Do you really want all those spans going down cause someone tripped over
> >  a power cable or your hard drive nukes itself?
>
> You usually don't worry about either of those problems when you've got
> redundant power supplies and drives in the rackmount system in a locked
> room.

And redundant UPSs as well, two good sized UPSs can really help.  As far
as cases go, I like the Bow cases (www.gogobow.com, you can buy some of
them from www.newegg.com).

> > We only use 2 TE410Ps in our systems and many servers.  This way you
> > spread out the load and achieve redundancy at the same time.
>
> What do you use for servers?  What's the load like?  I wasn't aware that PCI
> could handle 8 full PRIs of traffic.  What codecs are you using?

Sure, 8 PRIs are only 8x 1.5megabit x2 (ie all of it going out your
network connection), that is 24 megabit.  33MHz 32Bit PCI can handle 132
MegaBytes/sec, so the PRIs (doubled) only account for a small amount of
the bandwidth available.  Standard 33mhz/32it PCI can handle routing DS3
and OC3 level bandwidths.  I would recommend 33mhz or 66mhz 64bit PCI if
you are going above that.

			Harry