[Asterisk-Users] SIP URIs and ENUM or other types of lookup

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Nov 22 03:28:34 MST 2003

> But that would sort of break SIP. A SIP URI is extension at host, so it makes
No, A SIP URI is extension at domain - there's a big difference. Read on
DNS SRV records on
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=DNS%20SRV

Quoting myself:
No one really mails user at mailserver any more. We're mailing user at domain and the DNS MX records helps the mail client to send the mail to the
correct mail server. Why should we call user at sip-proxy instead of using user at domain?

Remember that the later construction in addition to being user friendly, also adds redundancy, and with a proper DNS configuration also may
add load balancing.

/O