[Asterisk-Users] Dialup Internet through Asterisk server?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 20 18:51:28 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 18:07, mattf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if it was easy to setup a dialup internet account system in
> Asterisk somehow(like PPP)
>
> laptop with modem -> PSTN line -> Asterisk server -> Server's broadband
> internet connection
>
> Has anyone done this?

No it wouldn't be easy, and it would be nearly impossible as there is no
modem software in asterisk right now. There has been a peice of code
released that lets you send and receive faxes, but it has a 9600 speed
limitation due to patents. So without connecting to a modem bank or just
modems hanging off of extensions, you won't have anything that would
connect you to a data connection.

Small caveat here is that there is ZapRas, but it is for PRI connections
and will allow a pure 64K ISDN call to be connected to PPP. As a side
note, ZapRas could be used as a example glue to pass audio data on to a
linmodem software properly plumbed to accept audio in pipes.