[Asterisk-Users] Tuning the Linux kernel?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 20 14:40:31 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 13:03, Scott Stingel wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> It's often mentioned here that recompiling the Linux kernel may improve the
> performance of asterisk.
>
> My question is:  Does re-compiling the kernel have any effect if there are
> no changes to the configuration?
>
> What parameters will typically improve performance?
>
> Thanks for any insight!

Reduce unnecessary modules and drivers being built in. The kernel is not
able to swap itself out of memory and therefore the smaller footprint it
has the better.

Make sure to select and optimize for your CPU.

There are a few others you can find from the menuconfig help system.

Another trick to look into is cutting down of the asterisk modules that
are loaded. Our newly deployed asterisk machine is not going to do any
IVR, and is only going to do IAX2 traffic. Because of this I was able to
trim down a lot of the modules being loaded by asterisk and decrease
it's memory footprint.

This also seems to reduce startup time, as well as stripping down all
unused sections of the configs.

I know this isn't always practical for all people to do, but we wanted
to squeeze as much as we could out of this machine.