[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel DAX?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 20 12:54:45 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 11:32, Johnson, Randy wrote:
> I could swear that I remember seeing some announcement somewhere that
> Zaptel now supported drop-and-insert across spans on a TE410P, but now
> I can't find it.  Am I imagining this?  We just got our TE410 up and
> running, and if we could cross-connect digital channels with it, I
> think we'd buy another one for the remote end (instead of using the
> T100P we have).
>
> Searching Google ("zaptel dax", "asterisk cross connect", "zaptel drop
> insert", etc.) found some 2002-era messages from Mark, explaining the
> ease which which DAX could be implemented.  At various times, he
> offered to do it for purchasing "a couple of T400P boards" (April 17,
> 2002:  http://www.marko.net/asterisk/archives/0204/0187.html), and
> then later for $3000 or 10 T400Ps (April 25, 2002:
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2002-April/002249.html).
>
> Did this ever get done?  Was the work released into GPL (CVS)
> Asterisk?  There's no reference in zaptel.conf and grepping for dax in
> the src/zaptel directory comes up empty, so probably not.  If that's
> the case, what's the price tag this week?

Thank you for providing the necessary example of why having a local copy
of every message on the list is a good thing. The message you speak of
was from Mark on Oct31, 1:17am cdt.

Quoted below.

<quote>
Zaptel now supports DACS functionality for *clear channels only*.  In
other words, you can do drop and insert from channels of one T1 to
another.  RBS is DACS functionality is not supported (i.e. signalling is
not carried) but this could be added if there is sufficient demand.

Mark
</quote>

This also explains why your searches didn't come up very helpful.