Asterisk Lists (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Business discussion again)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Nov 20 09:57:08 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 09:01, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > So far it seems like the proposed candidates for new lists are:
>
> > asterisk-newbies (perhaps a better word?)
> > asterisk-nontech
> > asterisk-biz
>
> > The amount of mail on asterisk-users is more than even *I* can read in a
> > day, and my job is 100% asterisk.  There probably is a justification for
> > a new list, but I think it is less the -biz list as much as much as the
> > -newbies.  Keeping a business discussion on -users is probably quite
> > useful since often times a business discussion can involve technical
> > details of what Asterisk is capable of doing.
>
> Agreed...  biz is just a special class of users, but what would go in
> nontech...  newbies wouldn't get much traffic since nobody wants to really
> admit they're a newb and moreso they'd get frustrated that the people who
> really do know wouldn't hang out there.

While I seem to be deemed the newbie basher, I have already expressed
similar sentiment to Mark once before. I think newbies are better served
in -users as there are people here who will answer the question, even if
it is to say "go look at google".

Agreed on what could be discussed on nontech. Business plans? Sourcing
parts?      Business plans are unlikely as those are usually kept close
to the company, and sourcing parts is fine for -users as they need them
too.

As for -biz, I think it may be best to define what you think should
happen there. If it is to make available vendors to clients, I doubt a
client would go to a mailing list, but I may be surprised. If it where
to organize development of certain features deemed needed by the
business community, that could easily be moved to -dev so that the group
who wants to get work done could talk to those who may do it from
outside your company.

> Although I do like -biz on a separate list because you can also see who's
> offering what, and get help on how to set it up and interop -- think of all
> the vonage, nuphone, p8, ich and other "how do I do this" traffic we've
> seen on -users lately...

Interop messages are -users messages. Some could say they should
possibly be handed up to the providers support channels though. Who is
providing what might best be served by a vendors section on the Wiki.
Specifically with locations and range a person is willing to do business
within. There have been a few questions lately that seem to suggest
people are ready to plunk down cash for someone to come set a asterisk
box up for them. These _wonderful_ newbies are paying for their answers
and the patience of the person who services them. Encourage this
behavior by giving these people the resource to find a vendor close by
that does this support work. The problem with a list is that it will
require searching, or the same question over and over again with minor
changes possibly for location.

Definitely embrace those willing to pay for service, and make it easy
for them to find the person willing to accept the check. Let them also
find such service close to their physical address as it makes support
more personal and easy to render. Do all this, but don't sacrifice the
current communications channels we have in place already.