Asterisk Lists (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Business discussion again)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Nov 20 08:49:10 MST 2003

> So far it seems like the proposed candidates for new lists are:
>
> asterisk-newbies (perhaps a better word?)
> asterisk-nontech
> asterisk-biz
>
> Any others as well?  If we were to add another list, I *believe* we could
> automatically subscribe everyone in -users to -whatever to help seed it a
> bit.
>
> The amount of mail on asterisk-users is more than even *I* can read in a
> day, and my job is 100% asterisk.  There probably is a justification for a
> new list, but I think it is less the -biz list as much as much as the
> -newbies.  Keeping a business discussion on -users is probably quite
> useful since often times a business discussion can involve technical
> details of what Asterisk is capable of doing.

What's the problem that we're trying to fix? (Fragmenting the lists into
more so we don't have to look at one or more lists, or, is it reducing
the number of repetitive newbie postings?)

The second choice is not going to be impacted by the number of lists
available. As stated several times before, additional documentation and
sample how-to configs would go A Long Way towards reducing noise levels.

In another very popular (but unrelated) list we had the exact same
noise-level problem. For that list, the annoyance was primarily Windows
users asking questions that Unix folks snubbed.  One simple text file was
included that spoon fed the "steps" reducing the noise level to almost
nothing. Proving that people do read if something is presented in the
proper context. The download-asterisk page has that capability right
now. I'd rather see that approach used verses another newbie list or
whatever it would be called. I'd even volunteer to submit the page
changes necessary.

The biz list does have some significant benefits, however. Best guess
is that anyone that has a serious commitment to asterisk would subscribe
to it, and possibly unsubscribe later if the topics don't fit with
their objectives (even if some technical questions are raised there).

Rich