[Asterisk-Users] The internet needs a dialing code..

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Thu Nov 20 03:12:47 MST 2003

It seems to me that ITSP's like to use a US dialing code eg 1-xxx

Wouldn't it be cool to have an Internet dialing code??

I don't know what the structures are or how the allocations work but it
would be so cool to know that 1-xxx was USA , 44-xxx was UK and yy-xxx
was an internet phone.. That way the whole internet phone space could be
consolidated into a single dialing structure and as VoIP takes over the
world there will be a single dialing standard for the whole world..

The trick would be the allocation of the xxx part because when there are
10 000 ITSP's one day the 5 digit number will be a pain in the butt..
the system would also have to be fair with everyone getting a 4 digit
number so you won't get people fighting over the single digits.. Maybe
using longitude and latitude of the ITSP would be the easiest or some
other planetary grid reference system..

Anyway it was just a thought I had..

Later..