[Asterisk-Users] Low Volume X100P

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Wed Nov 19 08:38:33 MST 2003

Rich Adamson wrote:
|>>Is it enough to just unplug the phones? or do I need to actually remove
|>>all physical connectors/interfaces from the line and run the line
|>>directly from the DMARC to the X101P line in port?
|>
|>Don't piss around; connect the X101P directly to the demarc with NOTHING
|>else connected.  If that works, connect the other extensions one at a
time
|>until the problem comes back.
|

| Suggest using some very basic troubleshooting techniques...

Thanks.

| Unplug all the phones; did it help or not?

No.  It did not.  The signal seems to be clearer but still very low.
Depending on which level echocancel is set to and whether AGGRESSIVE
cancellation is enabled or not on MARK2 determines the level of static
present and echo on the VoIP side of the connection, but the caller from
a normal analog phone line to the X101P hears none of this.  The call is
very clear and legible and extremely good (when gnophone going through
the VPN doesn't glitch every second or two and cut off what the person
was saying; otherwise, what's coming from gnophone is exceptionally good
quality).

Wonder of wonders, the default settings when setting echocancel=yes
(which I read previously on this mailing list is 128) work the best.
Setting echocancel to 256 causes some sort of drastic feedback that just
about blows the SIP/IAX user's eardrums out.

| If not, disconnect the extra wiring; did that help or not?

This is going to be more difficult, I think.  I would have to undo the
wiring from two boxes that the DMARC is split out to inside the building
for this particular line.

| If you are real sure there is nothing more between your * machine and
| the demarc, then call the telco (or your favorite service person that
| has the tools and knowledge to actually test what's left).
|
| It might even be worth your while to simply move the * machine next
| to the demarc, and connect it directly to the demarc (with no other
cabling
| involved whatsoever) and eval the difference.

I think I will try this.

| Then, to help others understand the issues, report back to the list
exactly
| what fixed the problem (assuming something realistic solved the problem)
| so that others can gain an understanding of unusual things impacting this
| stuff.

Of course.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I hope this problem can get licked.
Otherwise, we basically just have a voicemail system, and not a very
useable one at that.

- --
Jason A. Pattie
pattieja at xperienceinc.com