[Asterisk-Users] PBX (Asterisk) <-> Cellular Phone Network

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Nov 18 10:44:57 MST 2003

>At 1:20 PM +0000 11/18/03, Linus Surguy wrote:
>>  > I voulenteer with a local Search And Rescue unit and I was speaking with
>the
>>  > senior members about how they interface the command trailer PBX with the
>PSTN
>>  > or cellular networks when they are on scene at a remote location.  Turns
>out
>>  > they don't.  Thus that got me to thinking about how one would get
>Asterisk to
>>  > interface with a cell phone directly, or what hardware out there works
>well
>>  > for the task.  I have managed to figure out how to make my Motorola
>StarTAC
>>  > make outgoing voice calls for instance and making an interface for this
>phone
>>  > should be quite possible, but it would be nice to have incoming phone
>calls
>>  > too.  I know there are many companies out there which make such producs,
>and
>>  > that a Google search can yield many results, I want thoughts and
>opinions,
>>  > stuff which Google suks at.
>>
>>  Some of the older cell phones use to expose either a 2-wire or 4-wire
>>  interface via a connector on the phone (don't know about transmission
>
>I won't bother with any of that - purchase a Nokia Premicell (or other
>manufacturers similar item). This device takes a normal GSM SIM card and
>then presents a normal PSTN line interface - plug that into your normal
>Asterisk PSTN line card - job done.
>
>Linus

I don't have time to go digging for the link, but there is at least
one vendor who offers a hardware solution with 24 DS0 GSM cards in a
channel bank, which you'd then connect to a T100P card.  In other
words, it's 24 lines of cell phones in a 2u package, with minimal
wiring hassle.  Google should show you the way...

JT