[Asterisk-Users] VOIP phonesets vs. cheap Analog touch-tone sets with Asterisk

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:21:07 MST 2003

>On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 08:34, Steve Murphy wrote:
>

>>Hello--
>>
>>I've been asked an interesting question, and I'm too ignorant to answer
>>it authoritatively (yet). Can anyone help me?
>>
>>Question: If I'm going to implement a somewhat small (10-80) phone
>>system, and I have a choice of using VOIP phoneset (like SNOM or
>>Grandstream or Cisco, etc), vs. cheap analog touch-tone phones, exactly
>>what features will I kiss goodbye if I use the cheap analogs?
>>
>>In other words, what features will a (more expensive) VOIP phoneset
>>provide, that the analog won't?

If you need any off-site extensions - I have one in Nova Scotia off our
Buffalo server - then VoIP is great, and dramatically cheaper than
analog.  However, there is nothing stopping you using a mixed
environment. Put analog phones where the wiring is easy and VoIP where
the wiring is hard and/or there is already suitable ethernet infrastructure.

Stephen R. Besch