[Asterisk-Users] PBX (Asterisk) <-> Cellular Phone Network

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Nov 18 05:48:16 MST 2003

> I voulenteer with a local Search And Rescue unit and I was speaking with the
> senior members about how they interface the command trailer PBX with the PSTN
> or cellular networks when they are on scene at a remote location.  Turns out
> they don't.  Thus that got me to thinking about how one would get Asterisk to
> interface with a cell phone directly, or what hardware out there works well
> for the task.  I have managed to figure out how to make my Motorola StarTAC
> make outgoing voice calls for instance and making an interface for this phone
> should be quite possible, but it would be nice to have incoming phone calls
> too.  I know there are many companies out there which make such producs, and
> that a Google search can yield many results, I want thoughts and opinions,
> stuff which Google suks at.

Some of the older cell phones use to expose either a 2-wire or 4-wire
interface via a connector on the phone (don't know about transmission
levels), but not sure what the more current models are doing. Nokia and
Motorola sponsor application development lists, free development tools,
limited access to knowledgable engineers, compatibility test centers,
and other such technical references that are open for anyone to join.
I'd start by digging around Motorola's web site (they do have references
to the lists if dig deep enough).