[Asterisk-Users] Your thoughts..

David Carr asterisk at akstontechnologies.com
Mon Nov 17 11:08:31 MST 2003

We have a cron job that moves master.csv to subdir/<timestamp>.csv and then
tries to parse and delete all csvs in that directory. The reasons we did
this were

1) We wanted to store more data in the database without having to change
source code. For example, we have 45 asterisk servers writing to one cdr
database so it's nice to have a field in the database telling us which
server input that row.

2) Our database server is in another office so when the network goes down or
there is a power outage somewhere, we no longer have this huge one point of
failure for all of our remote phone servers. The csvs just keep piling up
until a valid connection to the database can be restored.

To my knowledge asterisk doesn't keep master.csv open between writes and
when we've moved it we never had a problem. Asterisk simply creates a new
master.csv the next time a write occurs.