[Asterisk-Users] Your thoughts..

PJ Welsh pj at cassens.com
Fri Nov 14 14:50:40 MST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:08:50PM -0800, Steve Sobol wrote:
> Senad Jordanovic wrote:
>
> > Funny, I am doing the same at the moment... :)
> >
> > We are allowing * to dump call records onto a remote database server.
> > Once there we can do all sort of things with it.
> >
> > My only concern is if this remote server goes down!
>
> Use more than one database server...

How much money or time do you want to spend to "make sure" it gets there???

You could cluster the database (a couple of ways with and with out the db servers knowing). This could include a "real" cluster and load balancer and redundant whatever. This could also include something like "sqlrelay" http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/.

You could also add an intermediate step that can be "smart" about the connecting service. This could be as "simple" a cron job that attaches a csv file to be emailed to a program that will process the data (we do it all the time). MTA's have VERY good characteristics for service outage issues. This option could also include a more custom daemon (done this, also) of your own creation of something found on freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net (I can't remember the program names off hand)