[Asterisk-Users] Streaming channels from Asterisk to the Internet

asterisk at lists.styx.org asterisk at lists.styx.org
Sun Nov 16 14:22:09 MST 2003

I have thought about doing this as well, for what may be the
same application. The easiest way to do it would be to use the
Console channel and audio drivers and use a mixer -- keep in
mind, I'm thinking of a radio talk show, presumably with a mixer,
other audio sources, etc. It would look something like this:

       +----------+--- line out -->+-------+    +------------------+
POTS --| Asterisk |                | mixer |--->| streaming server |
       +----------+<-- line in ----+-------+    +------------------+
            |                        | | |               |
            |                       CD | |               |
    SIP Clients, Etc.                Mic |           Internet
                                       Etc.

Where line out of the Asterisk goes to an input of the mixer
and line in is connected to a monitor port on the mixer.
This would be very simple to do and wouldn't require conferences.
You could map inbound calls to some telephone if you wanted
to screen callers or anything like that and then forward
the call to the console extension when you are ready to
go on the air.

This would be the ideal setup, but if you have only one
computer it is a bit harder. One way to do it would be to
have two audio cards and loop the Asterisk output into the
Icecast input, which is hard to get the audio to go back to
the person on the telephone -- maybe use a conference and
a SIP phone.

Otherwise, maybe Icecast can be hacked a bit or glued to a
sip client i.e.:

	sipclient sip:12345 at localhost | icecast

for some hypothetical sip client that just listens and sends
audio data to stdout. 12345 would, again, have to be a conference
and there would need to be some other way of joining the
conference.

As far as managing the incomming call(s) you could use astman
and/or queues...

-w