[Asterisk-Users] Confused about Asterisk server with regards to Linux NAT Firewall

Ed Rubright ed at rubright.net
Fri Nov 14 11:48:12 MST 2003

Hi all,

I'm confused as to where I need to place the Asterisk server with repect
to my Linux Firewall?  I've read thru the message archives but have not
been able to glean a clear answer.  My Linux Firewall is a RH9 running
IPTABLES doing NAT.

Here are my questions:

1) I want to be able to make and receive SIP and IAX calls(From sources
like FWD, IAXtel, iptel etc.).   I read in one message stating the
Asterisk server must have a public IP address for this to work.  Is this
the recommended configuration or does it work from behind the Linux
Firewall with ports DNAT'd to the Asterisk server?  If so, is there some
doc on what needs to be configured in the iptables?

2) If the Asterisk server does indeed have to be outside the firewall
with a public IP address, do my SIP phones also have to have public IP
address or can they be behind the firewall?

Thanks in advance,
Ed Rubright