[Asterisk-Users] Couple of Questions for Australian Users!

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Thu Nov 13 22:34:04 MST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:41:10PM +1100, John Paine wrote:

> [...]

I've come across about 10 I think, including myself, but I assume there are
more.

> > Hardware, is the digium hardware OK in australia? or does it require
> > changes/mod?s or is just a pain in the butt?
> >
> It works but most of it isn't A-tick'd, therefore it's illegal to use ($20k
> fine). The TE410P is the exception. Depends what connecting to, search the
> mailing list archives for specifics.
>
> > Alternate hardward for Aussie if above is an issues?
> >
> There's alternatives but that discussion isn't received well in the mailing
> list. Most people i believe just use digium hardware regardless of A-tick.

The AVM Fritz!Cards are the A-ticked small installation alternative.  The plug into
the Telstra ISDN Onramp2 which isn't too expensive to get (They had a sale on
recently, upgrade your POTS line to ISDN for AU$125.  The Telstra'd it up so
we asked them to waive the installation and they did).

The way the A-tick system works is that you have have the sticker on the card,
so you have to buy it from whoever payed the $$$$$$$ to get it A-ticked, so
they can recoup their costs.

So you have to get them from the Australian Distributor who will express post them
to you, we got ours on Wednesday.

You can also use NetJet ISDN cards, but they have echo issues on the internal side.

If it has to be POTS, Voicetronix has an OpenLine4 card which works with Asterisk,
I don't know what the quality is like.

Voicetronix is also getting the OpenSwitch 12 card certified, it can work as
FXS or FXO or a mixture (0/4/6/8/12 ports FXS)

> > Resellers/Importers of the Digium hardware? I have looked at the website
> > and see that there are aussie resellers but they all seem to have their
> > own agenda and the one I spoke to was not intrested in selling me
> > hardware alone they wanted to do me a whole service deal!
>
> Buy straight from digium :)

If digium puts the A-tick on it, you'll be right.  I don't think the TE410P is
finished the paperwork yet, I assume digium will post you the A-tick sticker
later if you buy one now :-)

> > Also IP phones? What type/recomendation? I am going to be using Phone
> > Software as well on laptops but I need an IP phone option to do phones
> > over WAN. I really only know of the cisco and avaya types, I have not
> > had any contact with any other types of phones. Intrested in Aussie
> > suppliers for what ever phone you would recomened unless they are great
> > phones then I would have to find an USA reseller.
> >
> I don't know any aussie resellers
Nor I

> > OK think thats all! Thanks Guys doing some great work with what looks to
> > be some very GREAT software!

I can't talk all the credit :-)

> > Thanks in advance for your help!

Hope it is help.