[Asterisk-Users] Re: I hate to do this but..

Freddi Hansen fh at danovation.dk
Thu Nov 13 08:06:10 MST 2003

>> I think that the card they have with  4 E1's / H323 and ethernet could
>> be considered just as a MG seen from the '*'
>> side and that might be the most easy way to go if you dont want go all
>> the way and make a channel driver.
>> My 1c on that issue.
>> Freddi
>
>The Aculab VoIP card actually only supports 2E1. Also, it is possible to use
>an API to drive it to handle the RTP only, leaving SIP/h.323 whatever to the
>application. However, what you can't do with the Aculab side of things (and
>I have though about this myself) is use it as a replacement for the Digium
>cards as there is no way to get the voice onto the PCI bus (even with
>Prosody).
>
>I'm afraid I would consider using these cards instead of the Digium ones
>otherwise for two reasons:
>
>1) Worldwide certification and approval
>2) Worldwide protocol support.
>
>However, they don't work and thats all there is to it!
>
>Linus

I think that a simple/light integration should be possible. The Aculab
acting as an endpoint should be able to register
at the '*' (allthough I haven't actually tried it). The voice will not
be using either the S.100 or PCI bus,
it would be coming via the ethernet. You can think of it just like a MG
that speaks SS7 against the PTT and
H323 again '*'.  The program that uses the Aculab API would just be a
'dumb' bridging program.
The other benefit you get is that all the G723 and G729 to ulaw can be
done on the embedded DSP on the board.

Freddi