[Asterisk-Users] "488 not acceptable here" message

Anton L. Kapela kapela at mwdt.com
Wed Nov 12 22:38:49 MST 2003

Robert.J.TESCH at odot.state.or.us said:
> I'm creating a test environment for Asterisk.  I have Asterisk running
> on a
> PC with only a NIC card, No FXO, FXS, TDM cards.  I have two Cisco
> 7960
> phones setup for SIP.  Within Asterisk, the SIP SHOW PEERS, shows the
> phones.  They don't appear under SIP SHOW REGISTRY.  When I call phone
> 2
> from phone 1, I get a message stating it is from Phone 2, stating, Got
> SIP
> Response 488 "Not Acceptable Here" back from 167.131.14.26.  Can
> someone
> point me in the direction to look for the trouble?

You'll want to try forcing allowed codecs in your sip.conf to
something like:

disallow=all
allow=ulaw

Last I experienced any 4xx responses the issue for me was codec
selection (rather, problems with selection). In my own searches, I
didn't find any record of this issue being clearly explained or
related to codecs. Hopefully Google catches this.

-tk