[Asterisk-Users] MySQL Licence may be changing..

PJ Welsh pj at cassens.com
Wed Nov 12 16:52:53 MST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:22:56AM -0800, Chris Albertson wrote:
> There are several other very good free SQL DBMSes.  One of them
> is actually supported by one of the world's largest software
> companies, SAP.
>
> SAP and MySQL signed an agreement where MySQL will co-market SAPDB
> and the name will change toi MaxDB.  MaxDB is be marketed as a
> "step up" from MySQL to an "enterprize class" DBMS.
> It will be interresting to see how the MySQL people will define
> MySQL, they surely will not try and tell people it is "enterprize
> class".  Perhaps they will be truthfull now and sell it as a
> light--weight product.

At the Portland Open Source Conference, the MySQL guys basically called the SAPdb crap. They were going to take some of the good aspects of it an put it into MySQL. They said the SAPdb was not extensible in the form it is now.

Of course, they never actually called it "crap" that is my summary of the conversation that I heard.