[Asterisk-Users] MySQL Licence may be changing..

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 10:22:56 MST 2003

--- Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com> wrote:
> I'll try to call them tonight.
>
> Mark
>
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, costas wrote:
>
> > I guess people are pissed off with them and are looking at the
> alternatives. I think they are charging too much money for it. Also
> they must compete against MS free Personal Server (SQL Server but not
> optimized) and PostgreSQL.

I think the best thing would be to keep DBMS-specific code out
of the default Asterisk install.

There are several other very good free SQL DBMSes.  One of them
is actually supported by one of the world's largest software
companies, SAP.

SAP and MySQL signed an agreement where MySQL will co-market SAPDB
and the name will change toi MaxDB.  MaxDB is be marketed as a
"step up" from MySQL to an "enterprize class" DBMS.
It will be interresting to see how the MySQL people will define
MySQL, they surely will not try and tell people it is "enterprize
class".  Perhaps they will be truthfull now and sell it as a
light--weight product.

Claiming integration with SAP would e a great marketing feature
for Asterisk.  "everyone" uses SAP.

http://www.sapdb.org/7.4/sapdb_mysql.htm
http://www.sapdb.org/

I use PostgreSQL and Oricle but have been following SAPDB for
some time.

> > From: WipeOut <wipe_out at onetel.com>
> > Date:  Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:58:11 +0000
> >
> > >I read on a site yesterday (wish I had saved it now.) that said
> that
> > >MySQL were re-visiting their new licence policy to make it
> possible for
> > >projects to use MySQL again..
> > >
> > >Has anyone else seen this?
> > >
> > >This looks like good news, it means that the MySQL stuff may be
> able to
> > >be merged back into the main Asterisk source so we will not have
> > >hassle with the addons anymore..
> > >
> > >Later..

> > --
> > Costas Menico