[Asterisk-Users] OT: Document Control System?

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Tue Nov 11 11:59:46 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leif Madsen" <leif at radiokaos.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 1:28 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] OT: Document Control System?

> I'm sorry this is somewhat offtopic, but I do plan to use this to help
> me create documentation for the * project.. so I guess it is somewhat on
> topic :)
>
> Anyways, I am looking for some sort of document control system.  It
> should act somewhat like a CVS where it keeps previous versions, allows
> people to submit documentation, keeps track of who has what document
> open etc.. etc..
>
> The documentation also has to be written on a Windows desktop platform..
> preferably would like to somehow use MS Word.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.  I saw
> some software called Laboratory Document Control System, but I don't
> have $999 for a single user license :) (or any money at all actually)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------+
> |Leif Madsen - http://www.hacklocalhost.com|
> +------------------------------------------+
> |    @| leif at hacklocalhost dot com      |
> |  SMS| sms at hacklocalhost dot com       |
> |  FWD| 18924          IAX| 1700-363-0761  |
> |iptel| 8972-1969    sipph| 1-747-386-1618 |

I think you can get win binaries for CVS from cvshome.org, or at least you can set it up on a *nix box and get a windows client.

There is an up and coming alternative to CVS that is moderately popular, called "subversion."

We use SourceSafe on our windows network, and it works sufficiently. It's nice to have around versus nothing.

If you can convince your people to do the documents in .rtf format, you won't have any problems. rtf is primarily a text markup format vaguely similar to html. You would be able to diffs a lot cleaner using that or another text format rather than using the default word format.

-----
Andrew Thompson