[Asterisk-Users] IAX/IAX2 encryption?

Brian D Heaton bdheaton at c4i2.com
Mon Nov 10 20:34:54 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 21:54, Chris Albertson wrote:
> The PGP documentation suggestes that users cary their key
> in a floppy and never copy the key file to the hard disk.
> So your "little black plastic key" is a floppy with the write
> tab punched out.

Actually I use a USB pen drive.  Its a lot tougher than a floppy and
easier to carry around without damage.

> Where I work, our Air Force costomers are using a system
> where you need a smart card to make a PC work.  All  the
> PCs are basically "dead" unless you put your card in the slot.
>
> We have some Sun Rays in our lab with card readers.  You can
> be editing a text file.  Pull the card, the screen blanks
> when you come back from the restroom and find someone using
> "your" computer, no problem you just put the card in any
> random Sun Ray and the scren comes back with e editor up and
> the cursor where you left it.  These Sun Rays sell for only
> about $1K each.  Given time this kind of thing will be
> universal.  It's already cheap.

I'm guessing you're talking about CAC cards here.  Thats probably a
little further than we need to go with a SIP phone, but a Dallas
Semiconductor I-button or a small (16MB??) USB pen drive could hold more
than enough data to make this all work for a SIP phone.  You could even
have your complete phone book, keyring, preferences, etc on there. The
functionality could cover both a PC and soft-phone.