[Asterisk-Users] IAX/IAX2 encryption?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 19:54:23 MST 2003

> I'd really like to see this.  Maybe each user could have a little
> black
> plastic key they could insert and turn to go secure.

The PGP documentation suggestes that users cary their key
in a floppy and never copy the key file to the hard disk.
So your "little black plastic key" is a floppy with the write
tab punched out.

Where I work, our Air Force costomers are using a system
where you need a smart card to make a PC work.  All  the
PCs are basically "dead" unless you put your card in the slot.

We have some Sun Rays in our lab with card readers.  You can
be editing a text file.  Pull the card, the screen blanks
when you come back from the restroom and find someone using
"your" computer, no problem you just put the card in any
random Sun Ray and the scren comes back with e editor up and
the cursor where you left it.  These Sun Rays sell for only
about $1K each.  Given time this kind of thing will be
universal.  It's already cheap.

At Sun, at least in one office programmers are not alowed to
"own" computers.  Every time they come in the office, in the morning
or after lunch they are asigned a random cubicle with a random
workstation.  Forces then to "walk the walk" and not just talk it.
with respect to paperless office.

Last place I worked at the desktop PCs (except for the technical
staff) where all "diskless".  No disk = no configuration.
Nothing to mess up.  They sucked up an rRAM disk image off the
net at boot time.

The above are example of the way things are going.  Clients
will need to work in this environment.

> Heck, maybe
> even a
> 2-line LCD on the phone itself to provide feedback to the user. <G>
> Honestly, this is definitely where I'd like to go.  As long as you
> didn't need to do any transcoding could you pass black side encrypted
> voice through an Asterisk server?  Not something I've tried yet.
>

> 			THX/BDH

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com