[Asterisk-Users] Re: IAX2 trunking on one side only.

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Nov 8 12:57:55 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield wrote:

>>>Actually it needs to be zapata timing. The other drivers just make a
>>>zapata compatible timing source that asterisk can use.
>>
>>Is the zapata timer superior to the ztdummy and ztrtc drivers, or are
>>they, from an Asterisk point of view, compatible?
>

>>From asterisk point of view they should be equivalent. The point is
> these all are a class of drivers providing similar functionality. The
> X100P, T100P, T400P, TE410P, S100U and such are zapata devices that
> provide timing and channel access. ztdummy and ztrtc don't provide a
> full zapata device only because they don't make a telephony interface,
> but the implement the timing needed for asterisk.
Well, going back to my first suggestion, wouldn't it be easier to call it
an "Asterisk timer" and to explain that ztdummy, ztrtc and the drivers
for zapata devices all support the Asterisk timer. The zapata drivers
in addition to the timer also support zapata (ZAP) channel access.

I think it could be confusing to continue along the road on "zapata
compatible timers" since there propably will be FreeBSD Asterisk timers
and other drivers delivering timers in the future, and the Zapata driver
will propably only be one of all possible drivers delivering a timer
to Asterisk.

It's not important to me, just trying to discuss semantics in order to
be able to explain it to newcomers in what I believe to be
an easy to understand way.

/Olle