[Asterisk-Users] asterisk + dual phone lines + cisco + backup

Brian Schrock brians at anistonetech.com
Fri Nov 7 15:31:08 MST 2003

I haven't done this, but....

Use the Linux high availability project's heartbeat software....
Configure both servers to watch the same IP.

T each of the incoming PSTN lines to dual x100p cards (one on each server)

Configure one asterisk server to pick up the line on incoming calls a few
seconds later than the other.

Configure the dialplan to do something like this....

Check and see if the sip phone is available, if it is not we can presume the
other asterisk server has taken over the ip and we send the call over to it
through another dedicated network interface. Otherwise just send the call
through to the sip phone.

On the "backup" asterisk server we configure it in a similar manner. If it
does receive the call (because the other asterisk server never answered the
line) then it will check and see if the sip phone is available if so it send
it off to it. If not it will presume the ip has been taken over by the other
box and send the call over to it.

Going the other way it will be similar...
Configure both sip.conf to latch onto the shared IP between the two asterisk
servers.

When the sip phone generates a call it will automatically go to the current
active asterisk switch. The asterisk switch will check if the Zap/? is
available and send the call out if it is. If it is in alarm it will send the
call to the other asterisk switch for routing out to the PSTN.

Configure both servers identically as far as asterisk goes and write some
script that will scp or rsync the  /etc/asterisk directories and
restart/reload asterisk after every time you make changes to the configs on
both servers.

Use NFS or SMB/CIFS to have only one /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail
directory.

And if I am not totally on crack, I think that will work. But gotta ask is
it really worth doing all that for two PSTN lines? If it were a really
important site like a hospital or 911 call center I could understand, but
this is just your home!

If it works let me know, need any help I would be happy to work on this with
you (I think I could learn alot).