[Asterisk-Users] The Minimum Cost of Setting up an Asterisk Phone System?

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Thu Nov 6 15:23:53 MST 2003

I hope you test the Grandstream phones.  The Cisco phones are *NICE*
phones, the Grandstreams are cheap, but don't have a lot of features
(they can't even display Caller*ID name info, just number, for example)

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 14:39, David Gomillion wrote:
> In answer to how this compares to commercial PBX's, I just received a
> quote on a Cisco system.  This included the PBX, licenses, connectivity
> for one PRI, 140 handsets, voicemail.  No other options, no ATAs, etc.
> 130 7940 phones, 10 7960 phones.
>
> How much would you guess for this?
>
> 25,000?  50,000?  No, guess again.
>
> $125,000.  I laughed.  My boss cried.  We are working on Asterisk.
>
> Now, let's look at our expected costs:
>
> $1500 - nice Dell server, rack-mount...
> $1500 - quad-span T1 card thingie
> $14000 - IP phones, assuming $100 average (mostly GS, some Pingtel...)
> $10000 - new router and switches
> ------
> $37000
>
> Now, take 125,000-37,000 (88000), multiply by 10% ("finder's fee"), and
> I should see an $8800 bonus, right?  Yeah, right.  Well, I can hope...
>
> All kidding aside, saving $88,000 on a phone system is a big deal,
> especially considering we end up with a more powerful and extensible
> system in the end.  We just have to make sure of a few of the features
> before we jump into it.  And I want to make sure we can put it in with
> the least training possible.  ("So, how do I check my voicemail?" "Same
> way you did yesterday" "But that's not how I used to do it"  "I don't
> care.  That's how you do it now."  "WWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH")

Sample configs, scripts, more : http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

BTEL Consulting 504-899-1387 or 850-484-4545 or 877-677-9643