[Asterisk-Users] The Minimum Cost of Setting up an Asterisk Phone System?

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Thu Nov 6 13:39:06 MST 2003

In answer to how this compares to commercial PBX's, I just received a
quote on a Cisco system.  This included the PBX, licenses, connectivity
for one PRI, 140 handsets, voicemail.  No other options, no ATAs, etc.
130 7940 phones, 10 7960 phones.

How much would you guess for this?

25,000?  50,000?  No, guess again.

$125,000.  I laughed.  My boss cried.  We are working on Asterisk.

Now, let's look at our expected costs:

$1500 - nice Dell server, rack-mount...
$1500 - quad-span T1 card thingie
$14000 - IP phones, assuming $100 average (mostly GS, some Pingtel...)
$10000 - new router and switches
------
$37000

Now, take 125,000-37,000 (88000), multiply by 10% ("finder's fee"), and
I should see an $8800 bonus, right?  Yeah, right.  Well, I can hope...

All kidding aside, saving $88,000 on a phone system is a big deal,
especially considering we end up with a more powerful and extensible
system in the end.  We just have to make sure of a few of the features
before we jump into it.  And I want to make sure we can put it in with
the least training possible.  ("So, how do I check my voicemail?" "Same
way you did yesterday" "But that's not how I used to do it"  "I don't
care.  That's how you do it now."  "WWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH")