FW: [Asterisk-Users] recording calls

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Thu Nov 6 10:32:18 MST 2003

Sorry that got accidentally sent incompleted, here's the full post:

OK, here is the long drawn out description of how I am using Zap Barge and
Monitor:

Zapbarge(listen in on live calls):

Very simple actually I just added this to my dial plan(extensions.conf):

    ; barge monitoring extension
    exten => 8159,1,ZapBarge
    exten => 8159,2,Hangup

Then when you dial 8159 on a phone you get asked which line you want to
listen in on, for Zap/1-1 you would press 1#, for Zap/25-1 you would press
25#

and that leads into the next phase, the recording of calls and also how
people know who is on which channel so they can record/Barge.

Monitor(and other manager functions)

This is much more complex than Barge, for this solution I decided to write a
couple server programs and a perl/TK client that can run on a Linux or Win32
desktop.

First the server side of things:
- created a constantly run perl script that telnets into the Manager
interface of Asterisk and gets the "show channels" output every 333
milliseconds, it then queries a database to see which "phone extension to
Zap channel" are not in it already and inserts them as well as deleting
channels that are no longer active. I chose to do it this way because it can
scale easily without affecting the Asterisk server at all.
- created a cron job perl script that runs every 5 minutes to take the
recording files, merge them with soxmix and copy them to a universal storage
location so they can be easily retrieved

Now the Client side:
- created a perl/TK program that woudl pull the current live calls
information from the database every second using Net::MySQL and displays
them in listboxes(so you can see which person is on which Zap channel), when
the person whose phone you have selected is on a phone call, the recording
button is enabled and you can start recording. Recording is accomplished by
the program telnetting into the Asterisk Manager and sending the Monitor
command for the specific channel, and Stopping recording is done similarly
with the StopMonitor command. I also created the ability to Originate calls
through this interface. I eventually plan on adding a recently called
Browsebox to initiate calls and a few other Manager commands like transfers
and moving calls into meetme rooms. I chose Perl/TK because it is very fast
and easy to develop in and is cross platform because we have an equal number
of Win32 machines and linux machines in our office.

If you have any other specific questions please let me know.

MATT---