[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Nov 6 01:23:47 MST 2003

Steve Underwood wrote:

>> And is not based on any standards!
>>
> 100% of all voicemail systems are not based on standards. There *are* no
> standards for voicemail. There aren't even many common practices. The

 From the SER admin's manual:
---
5.3. Voicemail
5.3.1. Introduction

The voicemail system provides ser with voice announcement and recording capabilities.
Voice messages may then be mailed to the called user. The system relies on ser for '
implementing the SIP stack and communicate with it through FIFO.
It implements the dialog and media handling as described in RFC 3264 (An Offer/Answer Model
with the Session Description Protocol) and RFC 1889 (Real time transport protocol)
to realize its goal.

----
I don't know what RFC 3264 is, but surely Asterisk Voicemail supports RTP ;-)

Otherwise, all I can think of is suggestions to use IMAP for voicemail message stores.
There's been some work within the IETF for voice profiles for Internet Mail.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/vpim-charter.html

 From the charter:
---
The Voice Profile for Internet Mail (VPIM) Version 2 is currently a
Proposed Standard (RFC 2421) Applicability Statement. It is an
application of Internet Mail originally intended for sending voice
messages between voice messaging systems.  As such, VPIM imposes
several restrictions on the message and transport to support the
characteristics of voice messaging. Many voice mail vendors have
implemented systems according to RFC 2421 and are in the process of
deploying these systems around the world. Most vendors have completed
(or are currently involved in) interoperability testing of VPIM
products and have posted their results on the VPIM website.  This
working group will promote the advancement of VPIM v2 on the standards
track.
----

/O