[Asterisk-Users] Outband DTMF on i4l modem

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 05:55:28 MST 2003

Best of luck on getting an answer, I have posted several times with the
same question.
Unfortunately my time to reverse engineer this problem right now is low
but my
temporary solution's cons are pushing me to jump into the code and fix
the problem.
As a workaround you can set your Cisco phones to disable out-of-band
DTMF and
on Asterisk set the sip.conf entries for these phones to use inband
DTMF.  You will
be able to get external IVR to work but you will probably have to use
something like
G.711 so the quality is hight enough.  The codec usage depends on your
configuration
and you may be able to get away with some compression.  I currently have
some Cisco
7960's for phones and an Audiocodes 4-port FXO gateway installed.  When
using
out-of-band DTMF, Asterisk DTMF functions worked fine.  I could not hear
DTMF
between the Cisco 7960s (who really cares).  The real problem was that I
could not
get DTMF relayed from the Cisco 7960 to PSTN via Asterisk and the
Audiocodes.
This is where I have to sit down with a packet sniffer and debug logs to
see what is going
on with the RTP.  I need to know if the problem is in Asterisk relaying
the phone events
containing DTMF or if it is the Audiocodes not generating DTMF tones on
the analog side.
Hope this rambling helps.  Maybe it will prompt someone else to chime in
with a solution. :)