[Asterisk-Users] Anyone using * in a live production environment?

Shaun Ewing asterisk at ewing.dropbear.id.au
Tue Nov 4 17:14:44 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ariel Batista" <abatista at avionica.com>

> The Cisco 7960 is nice to look at but in the real world it's hard to get
working and setup.
> If you don't know about Linux or are able to use scripts it's a real mess
to keep up!
> This is where it's being held back as a real world player!

While I will concede that the Cisco 7960 can be initially difficult to
setup, provisioning of additional phones is a breeze once you have the
initial configuration and services in place (things like DHCP, TFTP, etc).

I purchased a few more recently, and can have additional phones talking to
Asterisk in a matter of a minute or two - this includes the process of
converting to SIP.

The additional features are nice too. I'm making use of CCXML. You can press
Directories -> external and get an employee directory, a list of call queues
(convenient for transferring calls straight into a queue) and more.

By pressing services, you can get access to a company quick reference which
has things like our phone numbers, details on hosting plans, service addons,
etc. - handy when you're on a call and don't have the info up on your
computer screen.

Overall it's a very functional phone and I certainly don't regret the
expense in purchasing them (something I was initially worried about).

-Shaun