[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk system lock

Brian Schrock brians at anistonetech.com
Tue Nov 4 16:54:06 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "mattf" <mattf at vicimarketing.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 4:51 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk system lock

> Hello,
>
> In the last week I've been getting a lockup about every 2 days. during the
> lockup the people that are on the phone can keep talking, but noone can
> initiate any kind of call internal or external. I went into the manager
> interface and tried a Action: Hangup and Manager gave me a Success message
> back only to see that the Zap channel was still active in the "show
> channels" screen.
>
> When I eventually do a "stop now" it takes about 20 seconds before it
> finally stops and it says segmentation fault. then I start it back up and
> everything works fine.
>
> Does Asterisk need to be stopped and restarted regularly to not crash and
> freeze?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I am using a CVS from October 1st and have the following config:
>
> Digium quad t1 card (400)
> P4 2.8GHZ, 2GB RAM, SCSI RAID
> RedHat 9
> 2 T1's hooked up
> 50 Grandstream phones set up.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MATT---

I have noticed a similar problem, sometimes it was a configuration issue
(nothing major, syntactical) other times it was the version of cvs. I do not
have hard facts to give here, but I have seen things similar, but not as
easily reproducable as yours.

Just today I did a "restart gracefully" no one was on the phone and it did
not restart. The only command I could execute was exit, though I could
always get back in doing "asterisk -vr". I finally had to run around and
make sure everyone was off the phone then kill the asterisk process and
restart it and it worked fine. During the kinda fake hang no new calls could
be established, after I restarted asterisk it was fine.

As far as do you have to reboot asterisk every so often, my answer is no. If
you are experiencing (sp?) problems like that you have something screwey.
While using the prototype TDM400P's I did have to reboot regularily, and if
I have a TDM400P with bad modules in the asterisk server it causes
considerable instability. Other than that I have never had to regularily
reboot an asterisk server. The only reason they get restarted now is for
hardware change reasons. I have one server up for about 2 months now without
a single problem.

Hope some of this info is helpful.