[Asterisk-Users] Anyone using * in a live production environment?

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 4 16:34:10 MST 2003

Brian D Heaton wrote:

>IIRC, proper functioning of the 2-wire to 4-wire hybrid depends on
>proper balance between the the individual wires of the pair.  If you
>upset the balance you're going to get all kind of problems.

I just finished modelling a standard 4-transformer hybrid coupled to a
balanced RC transmission line. Cross talk was zero when the hybrid was
balanced. Inserting a single resistor in  series with tip or ring
imbalanced the hybrid and cross talk appeared. This could be completely
compensated with the proper RC on the opposite side of the hybrid, as
predicted. It made absolutely no difference to the cancellation if the
resistor was split.  Since a balanced hybrid appears as a pure
resistance (complex terms are 0)  to the transmission line, placing a
simple resistor in series with the hybrid (on either side) at the
termination point will just look like 2 resistors in series and will
properly terminate the line.  There should be no effects at all from
doing this other than the loss of some energy in the termination
resistor, which can be made up for with a boost in Rx gain.

>Along the same lines, overdriving the hybrid is a big source of echo.

That's because the cores saturate on transformer based hybrids.  This is
not as likely to occur with active hybrids built with op-amps (which are
found in almost all modern line cards), although it is possible if the
gains are high enough.  However the distortion from the clipping would
be far worse than the echo.