IAX2 Java library (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] New IAX software phone (for WIndows platform))

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 3 21:59:24 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:27, Alastair Maw wrote:
> On 03/11/03 20:03, Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you really need a C programmer and get into the guts
> > of asterisk. Can't get more flexible than having the source code
> > yourself to do anything you want. You could add your DSP routines into
> > the dsp.c file and call them when needed. You can also write a asterisk
> > application and have direct access to all the audio in every direction
> > just as you want it.
>
> But C isn't as maintainable as nice Java apps, and it's as simple as
> that. Basically, I'm after the most powerful interface possible to
> Asterisk, but trying to make it as friendly as possible to code things
> against. As far as our organization is concerned, that pretty much means
> Java objects.

So you bought that line of Marketecture didn't you. I think there are
several large open source projects that prove that C is maintainable.
Maintainability is really a function of organization. If you can't be
organized, you will not produce very maintainable C code.

I'll point out that I am not a C programmer, but making patches to
asterisk isn't that difficult.  I have also made patches to the kernel
without too much hair pulling.