IAX2 Java library (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] New IAX software phone (for WIndows platform))

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Mon Nov 3 15:27:59 MST 2003

On 03/11/03 20:03, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> Sounds like you really need a C programmer and get into the guts
> of asterisk. Can't get more flexible than having the source code
> yourself to do anything you want. You could add your DSP routines into
> the dsp.c file and call them when needed. You can also write a asterisk
> application and have direct access to all the audio in every direction
> just as you want it.

But C isn't as maintainable as nice Java apps, and it's as simple as
that. Basically, I'm after the most powerful interface possible to
Asterisk, but trying to make it as friendly as possible to code things
against. As far as our organization is concerned, that pretty much means
Java objects.

>>   - I'd like to be able to move from Asterisk to something else if I
>>     need to. This is why originally I was doing things using SIP/RTP.
>
> What else is there worth using??? Are you one of those people who always
> develops apps thinking, what if someone buys this and wants to run it on
> Oracle? or atleast something to that idea.

There isn't anything else worth using. :)
But there might be in six months' time. Or we might want to plug the IVR
into something with far more channels than an E1 that has a Cisco badge
on the front and talks SS7 (although I guess we can always break that
into a T1 channel bank or whatever and plug T1s into the TE405Ps we have
on order).

>>   - The documentation for AGI is very poor.
>
> Actually they documentation is just programmer oriented. The
> documentation is included as example scripts and the section of
> apps/app_agi.c that contains a nice description of each function that is
> available. <snip>

I shall look into that. Thanks. :)

--
Alastair Maw