[Asterisk-Users] XTEN-Lite Bad sound!

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Mon Nov 3 15:35:31 MST 2003

For some of these noise problems, it is good to do a jitter analysis.  I
found it to be the cause of the problems I was having with my Cisco phone
and a X-Lite client.  Also, I found that the X-Pro client is better at voice
delivery than the X-Lite client.

Anyway, if you have tcpdump available on your asterisk server, use it to
collect some timing statistics.

For example,

tcpdump -i eth0 -T rtp dst host x.x.x.x and dst port 8000

(if I have this wrong, 'man tcpdump' will help you with the various
options).

Should decode the rtp stream on eth0 to port 8000 on x-lite.

Pipe the output to a file.  Should look like:

14:44:43.618422 10.1.1.60.8000 > sip.oneunified.net.15958: udp/rtp 160 c0
4208 758720
14:44:43.619033 10.1.1.60.8000 > sip.oneunified.net.15958: udp/rtp 160 c0
4209 758880
14:44:43.665234 10.1.1.60.8000 > sip.oneunified.net.15958: udp/rtp 160 c0
4210 759040
14:44:43.665521 10.1.1.60.8000 > sip.oneunified.net.15958: udp/rtp 160 c0
4211 759200
14:44:43.665925 10.1.1.60.8000 > sip.oneunified.net.15958: udp/rtp 160 c0
4212 759360

This sample doesn't correspond to the command line shown, but gives you an
idea.

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/alastair/tcpdump.html has some descriptive
comments about what you see.

Anyway, now import the file into a spreadsheet.  Do deltas between the times
(first entry on each line, I usually discard the 14:44: stuff and focus on
the nn.nnnnn portion) on each line (line 2 - line 1, line 3 - line 2, ... ).
Make an x-y chart with the numbers in the second last column, 4208, ..., as
x and the deltas as y.

You may find some interesting results in terms of packet delivery timing.
Excellent packet delivery occurs with a max jitter of 20 to 40 ms.  Cisco
phones have a dynamic jitter buffer up to 150 ms.  My problem before was
that an X-Lite softphone on a slow machine or on a really bad internet
connection was averaging jitter between 80 and 200 ms.  It was giving my
phone a really hard time.  Hence the pops and periods of multi second
silence.

This may not be at all useful for your problem, I just used it as an excuse
to update people on my problems.  ;-)

Ray Burkholder
ray at oneunified.net
http://www.oneunified.net