[Asterisk-Users] LGPL IAX2 software phone (for WIndows/Linux platforms)

Michael Van Donselaar mvand at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 14:02:49 MST 2003

I don't want to rain on Dan's parade, but I'd like to call everyone's attention
to an existing project.

Steve Kann has developed a crossplatform IAX/IAX2 library, and there are a few
clients available for it.

I have written iaxComm using the wx toolkit. It compiles and runs under Windows
XP using the MinGW tool chain.  A precompiled IAX only version is available at
iaxclient.sourceforge.net.

iaxComm _ought_ to recompile and run on linux, and OS-X as well with minimal
tweaking.  There is another earlier client called iaxPhone that does run on
linux and OS-X.

Steve has just updated the library, and iaxComm now uses IAX2 rather than IAX --
just check out the current CVS.  (We just fixed a minor registration bug today).

I'm no c++ coder, and I built the UI to fit my own needs, but I think that it
would be an excellent starting point for anyone who wants an open source, cross
platform IAX2 client.

NB that iaxComm uses wxWindows' xrc system for the UI, so you can change the
appearance of the app even after compiling.

If anyone has any critiques, please send me a note directly, or better yet,
subscribe to the iaxclient development mailing list.  I can already see a few
things that I would have done differently if I were developing for general
consumption rather than myself.