[Asterisk-Users] New IAX software phone (for WIndows platform)

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Mon Nov 3 13:06:18 MST 2003

Don't get me wrong, I think its great too that he has spent the time on it,
and has something working.

I am just trying to be helpful sharing my experience with the platform. We
had what we thought was something working too, but when we started testing
on all the actual supported windows o/s variations, and got to the nitty
gritty of fixing tricky bugs, the whole thing fell apart on us, and I would
like to save others the same frustration. Wasting one's own time is one
thing, but paying people to do something you toss in the garbage is a
lesson that stays with you even longer.

VB may be fine as a stepping stone to other languages, it may also be fine
for prototyping and getting look and algorithms right, but in my
experience, trying to take the initial "working version" and refine it into
something that is "commercial grade" is an exercise in futility.

If it was my time I was investing, I would want to ensure I spent it the
best way possible, and be able to spend time making my code work the way I
wanted, not fighting with other issues that come up which I can't control.
I'm only offering the advice I wish I had in my hands a few years back.