[Asterisk-Users] SIP setup

Andrew Radke andrew at radke.iig.com.au
Sat May 31 18:26:22 MST 2003

Hi all.

I'm trying to setup Asterisk to act as a purely SIP PBX for Internet
based VoIP. I've got it configured with with a couple of users in
sip.conf like so:

[andrew]
type=friend
username=andrew
secret=<secret>
host=dynamic
defaultip=192.168.26.21
dtmfmode=inband

Calls addressed as 'sip:username at asterisk.server' or
'sip:extension at asterisk.server' work fine from unregistered clients and
for the registered ones a simple username/extension works like a charm.

But, I haven't worked out how to let the registered SIP clients access
anything outside of Asterisk. E.g. if they enter
'sip:user at someother.server' they get 'Session rejected: 404 Not Found'

I'm sure it's obvious and is simply solved, but I'd love a hint :-).

So then there is the million dollar question. Once this is working on
the test network can I make this work with a NATed connection to the
Internet. All registered clients are on the same network as Asterisk. I
would like to setup a static/destination NAT on the firewall to point
the appropriate (but limited) ports to the Asterisk server. Obviously
Asterisk would have to also be set to use the right IP in outgoing
packets. Is this going to be possible?

Regards,

Andrew Radke