[Asterisk-Users] 2 4-port T1 cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed May 28 14:12:01 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:09, Jon Pounder wrote:
> I'll save my typing fingers somewhat on this one - you are doing great
> arguing about all the crappiness of mysql and actually backing it up with
> real examples. It is nice to see that for a change in comparison to all the
> mysql lovers that love it just "because" but have no basis to compare it to
> something with "heavy" load. I, like you don't consider massive amounts of
> selects heavy at all.
>
> My example of heavy load where mysql could not even begin to handle the
> situation was a project with real time stock market data streamed in as
> bids and offers and trades happened, statistics computed from that in real
> time, database kept in sync live, and charts and graphs plotted in real
> time for users on the site. Now that situation had more than its share of
> inserts and updates, and a massive wad of historical data being kept just
> to add to the fun.
>
> Might I add for record that postgres did just fine.

While I'm on the postgres bandwagon for now, I wouldn't want it in the
middle of a phone system doing heavy call loads either. Postgres also
has some downsides too. As I understand it, postgres doesn't understand
prepared statements, or at least it doesn't via the perl DBI. Regardless
I've seen our postgres database eat +2600 updates in under 2 seconds
from a remote host on the same exact hardware that mysql choked on and
not cause any degredation of access times for any other user.