[Asterisk-Users] FW: NEWBIE: HOWTO make asterisk only accept calls when extension is picked up

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon May 26 10:42:08 MST 2003

Ben Bosshardt wrote:
> I am running asterisk with a AVM euroisdn card and a few sip extensions. How
> can I configure asterisk that the calls only get accepted when the extension
> is picked up to avoid charges fort he called when I am out. I only want to
> accept the call and send it to voicemail after 20s to avoid charges for any
> called wanting to hang up before.

That reminds me of a couple of other scenarios I have wanted to play
around with but am not quite sure how to do:

1. "Count rings" generically, in the sense that I want to save the
caller the connect fee by not picking up until so many rings have been
sent to the local instrument channel.

2. Better, answer differentially depending on whether there is voicemail
for a particular user (or perhaps any of a group thereof).  I am
basically a one-person shop, so for me any voicemail anywhere (I have a
couple of different voicemail boxes for purposes of convenience) would
ideally trigger the behavior of my answering machine, and pick up more
quickly than if there were no voicemail to be gotten.

Thx.

B.