[Asterisk-Users] Who would use Asterisk SS7?

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun May 25 13:12:51 MST 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 08:58, Patrick wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 23:58, Mike M wrote:
> > Certification can be a long and steep hill to climb.  Sometimes it is
> > overcome through a tiered approach: The incumbent (DT for example) calls
> > the shots.  The 2nd tier competitive operator meets DT's interconnection
> > requirements.  The 2nd tier operator offers network connection to the 3rd
> > tier competitors with loosened requirements.  Certification can also be a
> > fairly easy hurdle to cross in some markets.   Certification in one
> > market can carry over to another too.  Getting as much information as
> > possible on network certification is a key to assessing if a * ss7
> > interface can be used in a particular market.
>
> When I did an interconnection project to hook up WorldCom to BT, the
> testing was finished successfully in one week. I guess the equipment we
> installed for WorldCom (Stratus SINAP/SS7 software on an Ascend ASG
> platform) was mature enough to pass without a hitch. In our case we let
> BT call the shots and they were quite reasonable. I can imagine doing
> the same with a Linux based server running the OpenSS7 stuff might be
> more of a challenge. Perhaps IPDC is an option? See:
> http://www.bcr.com/voice2000/v2n4/p6a.htm

The article states that IDPC + SGCP became MGCP (which is supported in *,
correct?).   I don't know if the world's telecommunications regulators have
addressed MGCP or SIP interconnections yet, so SS7-IMT will be a reasonable
choice for connecting to the highly regulated PSTN for quite some time (maybe
until VoIP dominates PSTN).

Letting the guy that owns the bigger network always helps in the
certification process :-)

Thanks for all the replies.  I got some off-list in support.  There's lots to
noodle through here.
--
Mike M.