[Asterisk-Users] Who would use Asterisk SS7?

Patrick idefix at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun May 25 05:58:18 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 23:58, Mike M wrote:

> Certification can be a long and steep hill to climb.  Sometimes it is
> overcome through a tiered approach: The incumbent (DT for example) calls the
> shots.  The 2nd tier competitive operator meets DT's interconnection
> requirements.  The 2nd tier operator offers network connection to the 3rd
> tier competitors with loosened requirements.  Certification can also be a
> fairly easy hurdle to cross in some markets.   Certification in one market
> can carry over to another too.  Getting as much information as possible on
> network certification is a key to assessing if a * ss7 interface can be used
> in a particular market.

When I did an interconnection project to hook up WorldCom to BT, the
testing was finished successfully in one week. I guess the equipment we
installed for WorldCom (Stratus SINAP/SS7 software on an Ascend ASG
platform) was mature enough to pass without a hitch. In our case we let
BT call the shots and they were quite reasonable. I can imagine doing
the same with a Linux based server running the OpenSS7 stuff might be
more of a challenge. Perhaps IPDC is an option? See:
http://www.bcr.com/voice2000/v2n4/p6a.htm

Regards,
Patrick